Friday, June 20, 2014

DIY Mickey Mouse Applique Shirts



We just spent nine awesome days at Disney World! It was amazing! We were able to visit all four parks, and got to thoroughly enjoy each one. Two of those days were spent at Animal Kingdom. I knew that I wanted us to have at least one day of wearing matching shirts. I also wanted to have shirts with the iconic Mickey head. So, I made the girls (my mom, myself, and my two daughters) zebra print Mickey shirts. I made my son a camouflage Mickey shirt also. With the right supplies and a little of your time, you can make your own boutique style Disney World shirts..for half the price!

Materials:
  • Plain T-shirt (I purchased hot pink craft shirts for the girls, and an orange shirt for my son from Hobby Lobby. Wash and dry before starting your project.)
  • Fabric of your choice (Zebra print for the girls and camouflage for the boy)
  • Heat-n-Bond Ultrahold iron-on adhesive (or HeatnBond Lite for sewing)
  • Mickey head pattern
  • Sewing scissors
  • Sewing machine
  • Matching Thread
  • Iron
  • Freezer paper
Directions:
1. Make a Mickey head pattern. You can print and/or blow-up a picture found online, or you can make your own pattern. I simply traced a cup and plate in the shape of Mickey's head. You may need to make a couple of sizes for children and adults.
2. Follow the instructions on the Heat-n-bond package to create your applique. Put the Heat-n-bond adhesive onto the wrong side of the material you are using. (Paper liner should face up.) Iron the adhesive onto the material, pressing until it is completely bonded. Let it cool completely. 
3. Trace your pattern onto the liner and cut the pattern out.  You will be left with the Mickey head shape. Peel the liner off the back.



4. Add your Mickey applique to your matching shirt. Center or measure where you want your applique to go on your shirt. Iron the applique onto your shirt, pressing for about eight seconds onto each section until it is completely bonded to the shirt.
5. Use your sewing machine to stitch around the applique. Turn the shirt inside out. Iron a piece of freezer paper (shiny side down) onto the inside of your shirt (the applique should be directly on the other side.) This will help prevent your shirt from bunching up when you sew around your applique. Turn the shirt right side out. Make a zig-zag stitch around the applique or use a satin-stitch to prevent fraying. I set the stitch length to zero, and used the highest setting for a zig-zag stitch. (You may need to play around with the settings on your sewing machine and do a couple of trials on some scrap fabric to get the stitch the way you want it.) Simply follow the applique all around when sewing it to the shirt. I made a satin-stitch for the first time, and it was easier than I thought. I really loved the finished look!


6. Remove the freezer paper from the inside of the shirt. After sewing, the freezer paper practically peels off in seconds. Any leftover freezer paper should come off in the wash.




7. Enjoy your new shirts and wear them to the Disney parks...especially made for Animal Kingdom!




I loved the way the shirts came out, and I am so glad I took the time to make them for our trip! 



2 comments:

Thanks for visiting Mama Gets It Done! I love hearing from you!